| Won | Pyongyang | Sinuiju | Hyesan |
|---|---|---|---|
| Exchange Rate | 8,070 | 8,050 | 8,095 |
| Rice Price | 5,800 | 6,000 | 5,900 |
The North Korean citizenry has been left unfazed by the country¡¯s failed rocket launch, according to inside sources that spoke to Daily NK this afternoon. Instead, the response has been mostly a mixture of indifference and cynical jokes.
Chosun Central News Agency and other state-run media officially, and with unprecedented honesty, announced at around midday in a special announcement that the earth observation satellite had failed to enter its preset orbit.
A source from North Hamkyung Province told Daily NK some time after the announcement, ¡°Thanks to the TV news everyone knows it failed but, as with all previous launches, nobody appeared to be that interested.¡±
According to the source, only a small minority of people lamented the failure, mainly Party cadres and the elderly.
However, in an inevitable reflection of the secretive news environment in North Korea, rumors quickly came to the fore regarding the cause of the failure. For example, a source in Yangkang Province said that some people there were speculating that the rocket had been shot down by the United States military.
However, joking prevailed elsewhere, the source said, with local people declaring that chronic fuel shortages must have driven somebody to siphon fuel from the rocket in the dead of night and mix the remainder with water.
Overall, however, the source said, ¡°People in the jangmadang aren¡¯t really talking about the satellite. Must people seem like they couldn¡¯t care less about the reports of its failure.¡±
Meanwhile, sources also say that there was no mention of the rocket¡¯s failure on the so-called ¡®Third Broadcast¡¯, the domestic cable broadcasting system wired to homes and workplaces that is hard to intercept from abroad. It remains to be seen whether there will be reference to the rocket during Saturday lectures held in factories, enterprises and local people¡¯s units, although this too is unlikely.
Chosun Central News Agency and other state-run media officially, and with unprecedented honesty, announced at around midday in a special announcement that the earth observation satellite had failed to enter its preset orbit.
A source from North Hamkyung Province told Daily NK some time after the announcement, ¡°Thanks to the TV news everyone knows it failed but, as with all previous launches, nobody appeared to be that interested.¡±
According to the source, only a small minority of people lamented the failure, mainly Party cadres and the elderly.
However, in an inevitable reflection of the secretive news environment in North Korea, rumors quickly came to the fore regarding the cause of the failure. For example, a source in Yangkang Province said that some people there were speculating that the rocket had been shot down by the United States military.
However, joking prevailed elsewhere, the source said, with local people declaring that chronic fuel shortages must have driven somebody to siphon fuel from the rocket in the dead of night and mix the remainder with water.
Overall, however, the source said, ¡°People in the jangmadang aren¡¯t really talking about the satellite. Must people seem like they couldn¡¯t care less about the reports of its failure.¡±
Meanwhile, sources also say that there was no mention of the rocket¡¯s failure on the so-called ¡®Third Broadcast¡¯, the domestic cable broadcasting system wired to homes and workplaces that is hard to intercept from abroad. It remains to be seen whether there will be reference to the rocket during Saturday lectures held in factories, enterprises and local people¡¯s units, although this too is unlikely.










Facebook
Twitter
Meetup

Advertisements, links with an http address and inappropriate language will be deleted.









